Are there benefits to keeping my trees healthy?
Guarding the health of your trees by entrusting their care to an experienced tree company is of great benefit to you. Statuesque, healthy trees are focal points within your outdoor environment. They provide pleasant shaded areas for leisurely relaxation, cool your home and greatly increase your property value. In contrast, the costs of treating serious tree diseases, removing dead trees and tree replacement are never welcomed expenses and can cause you worry and concern. Protecting the health of your treasured investments is extremely important.
What are the signs of a healthy tree?
Although different varieties of trees have unique characteristics that they exhibit when they are healthy and strong, all trees manifest the following general qualities when their health is robust:
- New Growth: You will observe annual new growth on a healthy tree. Height increase, young foliage, buds and blossoms are some of the indications of new growth.
- Undamaged Leaves: Leaves should be free of brown or black blotches and spots, shriveled edges or any unsightly blemishes.
- Flexible Branches: Healthy branches will be pliable and not break when bent. Sick trees will have branches falling and that are brittle and snap easily.
- Appropriate Color: Depending upon the tree’s variety, the color should be appropriate for the type of tree (for example, Shumard red oaks will have lovely red foliage) and the color change of the leaves should be accurate for the time of year and season.
- Thick Foliage: A full, lush canopy is indicative of a healthy tree. Premature defoliation, dieback or thinning areas are causes for concern.
- Strong Bark: Healthy trees have solid, strong bark that is not easily peeled off of the tree. Bark falling, chipping, peeling and flaking are serious reasons to contact a doctor that treats sick trees promptly.
What can I do to protect the health of my tree?
Always entrust the care of your trees to an experienced tree company. The ISA certified arborist and tree experts have the extensive knowledge and experience to ensure your trees are protected and healthy. A tree care specialist will customize an on-going tree and plant health care maintenance program designed specifically for you and your residence. The numerous supportive health treatments and proactive measures to protect your trees include the following:
- Deep Root Fertilization: This is important! A highly-experienced tree expert injects under pressure the specific liquid nutrients the tree requires directly into its root zone, as trees rarely receive adequate nutrition from topical lawn fertilizer. The injected oxygen also aerates the soil and eliminates soil compaction and the problems that can cause. When administered annually, this key treatment results in the tree being 95% more resistant to infectious pathogens and increases its root structure.
- Prevent Tree Wounds: Always entrust your regular lawn care maintenance and the planting of bedding plants to an experienced tree company. Unintentional wounding by weed trimmers, shovels and the like can cause the tree to become vulnerable to disease and insect pests that often invade trees through the tree’s wounds.
- Tree Health Assessment: A tree health assessment will let you know the health status of your trees. An ISA certified arborist closely examines the tree and provides a tree evaluation report with the specific details regarding the tree’s susceptibility to disease and the nutrients that the tree requires to remain in optimum health.
- Protect Your Trees From Stress: Healthy trees have a natural immunity to disease; however, stressful conditions can weaken even the strongest of trees. Stress can be caused by many things including severe temperature changes, inadequate water supply or insufficient sunlight. A tree care specialist will protect your trees from drastic weather conditions. Watering by means of soil drenching and soaker hoses enables the tree to withstand drought. Regular tree pruning by a tree pruning service prevents overcrowded branches and provides the tree with adequate sunlight.
- Root Pruning: As trees grow, they can become cramped in tight spaces and even damage your house foundation and sidewalks. Their roots can curl and girdle the tree’s trunk, preventing nutrients from being dispersed within the tree. Girdled roots not only stunt the tree’s growth but can eventually kill the tree. This important service prevents girdled roots and the damage they can cause from ever occurring.
- Tree Growth Regulators: Mature, tall and fast-growing trees need a strong root base to support their stature. Administering tree growth regulators increases the density of tree roots and also elevates their disease-resistance and their ability to withstand drought-like conditions.